Library service was established in the South End in 1877. The branch was located in the Mercantile Library Association until 1879 when it was moved to the English High School. In 1904, the Branch relocated to 397 Shawmut Avenue and then again in 1923 to the John J. Williams Municipal Building at Shawmut Avenue and West Brookline Street. On June 7, 1971, the South End Branch moved to a new building at its present location, which was on the site of the original Mercantile building (source: www.bpl.org/branches/southend)
Anne Smart, Head Librarian
Anne has been at the South End Library for 15 years.
Her favorite book is Telegraph Avenue, by Michael Chabon
Carol Glass, Librarian
Carol has worked for the BPL for 12 years.
Her favorite book is The Coldest Winter Eve, by Sister Souljah
Margaret Gardner, Children's Librarian
Margaret has worked for the South End Library for 8 1/2 years.
Her favorite all-time book is Torah
Her favorite children's book is King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry